Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Arizona State Parks proposes to raise camping fees. . . by a lot

It's likely that you will soon pay a lot more to camp in an Arizona State Park. Fees for a primitive campsite would raise from $15 to $25. Sites with electric hookups would go from $25 to $50 and day-use entrance fees would range from two to 10 dollars. Parks with per-person entrance fee ranges would have the upper limits changed to $10 to allow for seasonal and promotional fee increases by State Parks partner organizations.

Standard Annual Passes (day-use only) would be valid from November 1 to March 31 on holidays and weekends at the Colorado River Parks which would allow for more days of use for that pass.

Public comments will be accepted online until Jan. 13, 2012 at AZStateParks.com. The comments will be presented to the Arizona State Parks Board at its February, 2012 meeting. If the new fees are approved, the fee changes would take effect April 1, 2012.

11 comments:

tj said...

This is certainly not the time to be raising fees. The proposed raise in Arizona fees will just drive folks away. I would not pay this fee for state camping.

Old VM Guy said...

Seems like a classic case where a business hopes to raise more revenue by raising prices but finds that total revenue goes down because the number of customers drops dramatically. Not going to find me there at these rates.

Calvin R said...

That just makes no sense to me. Is the State of Arizona aware of BLM lands? I am.

Dave said...

DC says
Ilove Arizona but I don't want to buy it so sorry if your fees goes up like that I shall never return.
DC

rvlovers10100 said...

Hey I we don't go to California because of their rate increases and park closures, guessing we are adding Arizona to the no-go list. Guess they don't want or need our money!

Unknown said...

Rates this high will only make commercial RV parks more attractive, simce many offer more avilable ammenities.

MaryAnne said...

I posted my comments on the AZ state park link. Please all do the same. Numbers count!

The Kuohn's said...

Are they crazy? Thats $1500.00 a month I would scratch them off my list. These Rv parks are driving more and more of us to the desert. Been fulltiming for ten years now.

winndriver said...

$50 a night is usury and will drive RV'ers away. If I were ever to pay that much I would do it at a commercial campground where services make it almost worth it.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't pay $50. But I would pay $25. The lower end ain't that high.

AZpaul said...

Winter is a popular season in Arizona as evidenced by the many resorts full of snowbirds paying hundreds of dollars per night. The best of AZ is available in its state parks, usually jammed during the peak season, so it makes sense to charge the visitors more as opposed to higher taxes. As an AZ resident it would also be nice to find an available site to take my family. Let the cheapskates camp somewhere else!